Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Laguna Madre Nature Trail (South Padre Island)

Laguna Madre Nature Trail

Laguna Madre Nature Trail


Central Power and Light
Next to the South Padre Island Convention Centre and Whaling Wall is the Laguna Madre Nature Trail, a 1500 ft (457 m) boardwalk that spans over a wetlands area. The boardwalk was nice, but I couldn't understand why it was built adjacent to a Central Power and Light Company station. I found it disconcerting walking over a wetlands area and hearing the hum and crackle of electrical lines. Later, I learned that the power company built the boardwalk as part of a mitigation project due to destruction caused from the placement of underground lines.

The July 2006 edition of Texas Parks & Wildlife magazine ranked the Laguna Madre Nature Trail boardwalk number 3 in a top 10 list of Texas boardwalks. On this same trip, I walked the boardwalk at Sabal Palm Audubon Center (Resaca Loop Trail) at Brownsville; this boardwalk got honorable mention. I thought the Sabal Palm's boardwalk was more memorable; I actually said "wow" when the jungle opened up before me. The power plant boardwalk elicited a "yikes."

That being said, I would visit the boardwalk again. It offers a great place to view birds when they are around, and, supposedly, it offers an ideal spot to view sunsets.

Links:

No comments: